Saturday, December 31, 2016

Paper Doll Mystery



Another paper doll mystery.  These three pages feature Dutch *or Swedish?* costumes.  One page is dated 1933.  No other information is on these pages.  They have a dotted 'cut' line on the side but have been pulled out cleanly of whatever they came from.  Book or magazine?  Again, if anyone has more information about these, please let me know! Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Edit,

Thanks to Sally W for helping id this set.  These paper doll sheets are from a book called Little Faces from Far Away Places published in 1933 which included 7 pages of paper dolls.

5 comments:

  1. The 3rd page is Dutch -100% sure.
    1st one looks like Switzerland.
    Always like the pages you show verymuch.
    Thank you and happy new year to you tooo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 page Dutch, the first doll is based on Volendam. The second is supposed te be the former island of Marken, at keast the cap and hairdo, but not the dress. And the third one has traits of Frisian - again with a lot of fantasy ... Neat, though...

      Delete
  2. They're really neat, but I don't know where they come from. I love paper dolls from the 1920s and 1930s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second one is from Hungary, specifically from the village of Mezőkövesd and two nearby villages, they call themselves Matyó. Their outfits are quite different from other regions of Hungary, I think they are one of the only groups who have long skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with them! Thank you for sharing! I am trying to learn more about Hungary and Austria and the Hapsburg times and these dolls came up in my research. Made me very happy! I will try to find all 7 pages! I love learning about the world, especially with paper dolls!

    ReplyDelete