Friday, November 24, 2017

My "Hero" Inspiration

What is a hero? "a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities."  I don't really idealize anyone.  I did think about doing a military theme, but I wanted to do something more personal to me and less generalized.  Who is my hero?  My mom, but I have no idea how to represent that in a paper doll outfit.  So instead, I think I went a little off topic and did more of my inspirations.  The first outfit I drew is on the right corner and represents the artist Mary Engelbreit.  My mother used to get her magazine Home Companion and I loved her detailed, colorful, and whimsical illustrations.  

Her style was instantly recognizable. Of course, her paper dolls!  I greatly admire her talent.  The second outfit kind of emerged from the first, since I drew a sailor collar.  I decided to do Sailor Moon, which falls more into another definition of hero as someone with super human abilities.  In my youth/teen years, Sailor Moon was one of my favorite TV shows along side Dragon Ball Z.  I loved watching the transformation scene and seeing a strong female team take on evil.  Later, I read the manga and loved Naoko Takeuchi's art style.  I drew lots of Sailor Moon fan art (and still do) and I even have a paper doll project buried away.  Sailor Moon helped me make friends (if that sounds dorky) and gave me something to look forward to after the long dragging school days.

For more outfits for this doll drawn by me click here

Wonderful designs from the blogs below as well! Everyone went in a very unique direction for this challenging theme.
Paper Doll School here
Paper Thin Persona here
Pop Culture Paper Dolls  here

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.  I will be busy for the next few weeks with finals for school.  

3 comments:

  1. I love Mary Engelbreit too! If you aren't already, you should totally follow her Facebook page. It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that you went with some art heroes here. i didn't even think of that ~ brilliant! : D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you went with people who have inspired you. I also like the idea of including a fictional character.

    ReplyDelete